Health Survey Northern Ireland 2012 - 2013

Results from the Department of Health Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) report ‘Health Survey Northern Ireland 2012/13’ have just been released. The Health Survey Northern Ireland is conducted annually and covers a wide range of health topics.

Some of the key findings of the report are as follows:

Child health

Of the 538 children recruited, it was found that a fifth (19%) of children were overweight and 6% were classed as obese. In total, 1 in 4 (25%) children in Northern Ireland were found to be carrying excess weight. Despite these findings however, 90% of children aged 8-15 stated that they were currently not trying to change their weight.

Adult health

In total, 3,280 adults were recruited as part of this study. A quarter of adults (25%) were found to be obese with a further two-fifths (37%) classified as overweight. Overall, 62% of adults in Northern Ireland were reported as carrying excess weight, which is slightly up from the results of the 2011-12 report (61%).

Physical activity

In July 2011, the Chief Medical Officers of the four UK countries introduced revised guidelines for physical activity. However, this report discovered that just over half of respondents (53%) met the new recommendations of 150 or more minutes of exercise per week.

Higher amounts of activity were reported amongst the least deprived. Almost three-fifths of the least deprived (59%) met the recommended amount of exercise, in comparison with 45% of the most deprived respondents.

Over two-fifths (45%) of respondents aged 19 and over, reported to having over 4 hours of sedentary time (sitting or lying down) per day, on weekdays, while 17% were sedentary for between 3 and 4 hours. In addition to this, (45%) had a higher amount of sedentary time at weekends. Watching TV was reported as one of the main sedentary behaviours amongst this group. Not surprisingly, it was also found that respondents in the obese BMI category tended to have more sedentary time, than those in the normal BMI category.

Posted: 21/03/2014 12:23:26 by Victoria O'Dwyer


 

Nutrition News RSS feed