French toast with ricotta and berries
A great idea for brunch!
French toast can be served with all sorts of fruit and nuts so don't be afraid to experiment around with your toppings.
Ingredients - Serves 1 Adult
- 1 medium egg
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of low-fat spread
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- 2 tablespoons of low-fat ricotta
- 15 raspberries (60g / 2oz.)
- 6 strawberries (75g / 2½oz.), halved
- 1 tablespoon of flaked almonds
- Crack the egg into a bowl, add the cinnamon for sweetness and mix well.
- Heat the low-fat spread in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until it melts. Tilt the pan to make sure the bottom surface is coated evenly with the melted spread.
- As the spread melts, dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture coating both sides well.
- Turn the heat up to high, heat for a further 30 seconds and then add the bread and cook for 1 minute on either side. The second side may take slightly shorter as the pan heats. You can add any excess egg mixture to the pan to cook if you like.
- Once both sides of the bread are golden and the egg is cooked, remove and serve with the ricotta and berries. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and enjoy!
Add some extra chopped nuts to boost your intake of healthy dietary fats
Have the kids help you by letting them dip the bread in the egg mixture. Just make sure to thoroughly wash hands after!
About this Recipe
This recipe was developed by safefood nutritionists for our weight-mate app.
Click here for more details
The recipe contains
of an adult's reference intake
|Typical Values||Per 100g||Per Portion (294g)|
|Fat||6.4g || 18.7g|
|(of which saturates)||1.8g || 5.3g|
|Carbohydrate||11.8g || 34.8g|
|(of which sugars)||3.2g || 9.3g|
|Protein||6.7g || 19.6g|
|Salt||0.4g || 1.2g|
|Fibre||4g || 11.8g|